Friday, February 22, 2008

Non-waterproof trainers out of 100% cotton interlock

Cotton interlock is a lot cheaper, more available, and has cuter prints than the 94% cotton/6% spandex fabric combo I originally suggested for these trainers. I decided to try making some of these trainers with some really cute fabric without the waterproof layer in the soaker. These kind of resemble the trainers you can buy at JC Penny. The whole trainer is made from the cotton interlock (even the soaker), this will be slightly less absorbent than having a flannel soaker but with these type of trainers that amount of absorbency is not going to make a difference - the wetness will wick pretty fast regardless:) In addition, by using the cotton interlock as a soaker as well the stretch of the fabric goes throughout the fabric. I simply cut 4 layers of soaker from the same cotton interlock (you could use another colour if you wanted to save the cute print for the outsides of other trainers).

What I did discover is that the stretch of the cotton interlock is not as elastic as the 94% cotton/6% spandex and therefore you need to add elastic (I used 1/4" braided stretchrite elastic) in the waistband as I did with my Easy Up and Down Pants. This adds memory to the waist band so that it continues to hug your little one's waist even after it is stretched around their hips. You can follow the instructions in the pants link to find out how to do it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This file isn't opening up for me...it says it's damaged. I really wanted that pattern too. ^_^

Green Momma said...

Oh sorry! If you email me directly I can send you the link till I get it fixed....

Green Momma said...

The link works for me. Do you have the newest version of adobe acrobat?

Kristin @ DailyKitchen said...

What a cute design! Thanks so much for another great pattern and instructions!

Kimmy said...

I made these tonight but couldn't get the waistband to fit. Do you make the waistband the same width as the undies?

Green Momma said...

The waistband is supposed to be smaller than the waist so that it hugs the body and the pants don't fall down. If the fabric you used is not as stretchy as the fabric I used then you might need to add some length to the waistband piece. Hope that helps!

kimmy said...

THanks!I'm going to make the waistband 1" smaller than her waist but add elastic. Sooo cute!