Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ergo suck pad with free pattern

I love my Ergo. Jonah is in it at least five times a day! When he sucks on the straps (as all babies do) they get a little dirty and discoloured. The Ergo instructions warn you about not washing the Ergo too many times or the colour will fade so in favor of cleanliness and practicality I decided to make some sucking pads. They do sell these but I knew I could make them for cheaper and with cuter colours:).

Link Here. Some download times are long.

Cut out the pattern using two layers of material. I chose to use a layer of stretch terry and a layer of patterned flannel. You could use two layers of terry or two layers of flannel or something else. Just remember, your baby will be putting their mouth on this so choose something nice that's 100% cotton. You want the material to be thick enough so that as it gets wet the moisture is absorbed and doesn't wick to the straps.

Mark snap positions on the right side of the fabric.

With right sides together pin all the way around. Sew, with a straight stitch and a 1/4" seam allowance, all the way around. Leave a 1 1/2" gap to turn the suck pad right side out.


(Just thought I'd mention that there are four pads here since I was making a pair for a friend)
After sewing all around trim the corners and any excess fabric from the sides.
Turn the suck pad right side out and fold in the fabric at the opening, pin it down. With a straight stitch, sew all the way around, thereby closing the opening with the topstitching.
Put on your snaps with 3 caps on the printing flannel and the other three caps on the terry. The suck pad should overlap by 1/2" when it is snapped with one edge tucking under the other edge.

If you don't have a snap press you could use buttons or velcro.
Make another suck pad to match and put it on your Ergo.

23 comments:

renee - 21st Century Parenting said...

great idea! i'll have to try this on my ergo.

just found your site... GREAT info!! i hope to make some stuff soon.

Green Momma said...

These are super fast to make and so practical!

Crunchy_Conservative said...

You could also make them slightly wider and use velcro to close them, if you don't have a snap press.

Cheers,
Sarah

Green Momma said...

I think the velcro might be a good idea because sometimes the pad scrunches down. The velcro would stiffen the sides a bit and hold it up better. Thanks!

spiral girl said...

i just made some of these BEFORE I read your post -nice to see grat minds think alike - now im off to read the rest of your blog! :)

I made mine with velcro and used all recycled materials - a lovely brown corduroy with indian cotton inner :)

Green Momma said...

Wow sounds gorgeous. I'd love to see a picture:)

Allie said...

How much fabric do you need? And should I make two sets one to wash and one to use?

Green Momma said...

I think you would be safe having a 1/2yd of each type of fabric.

I only have one pair but I guess it depends how often you want to wash them...or how much your lo drools/sucks:)

Love to see a pic when you make them!

Rebecca

nabechi said...

Thank you for your useful information!!

To introduce your article to the Japanese,I translated this article into Japanese and carried in my blog. I used your photograph in the article of my blog. Is it OK? If you are unpleasant, I will delete it.

dirtydiaperlaundry.com said...

I need to make these now! Thanks so much for posting this. I was just about to give in and buy some.

Kate Sonin said...

I just bought an ergo and found your link when searching for sucking pads. Thank you sooo much! I whipped up a pair this morning from a new pre-fold cotton diaper and some scrap cotton fabric. I used your exact pattern with 3/4" velcro tape that I cut in half lengthwise.

Unknown said...

I am a newbie to patterns. From the pattern it looks like you place the arrow pointing to the left on the fold? Do you know the dimensions of the square (I am guessing it is a square based on the photo.) When I looked at the pic it appeared to be 8 1/2 inches? Is the length 11 inches? A full sheet of paper? Thank you so much for posting this! I purchased an ERGO yesterday and have been looking online for soaker pads. Etsy has some cute ones but I didn't want to pay shipping and couldn't find one I loved. Thanks to you I will have a perfect soaker to match my babies perfectly blue eyes! <3

Green Momma said...

You can download the pattern from the link at the top of the blog, then you don't have to guess at the dimensions:) Happy sewing!

Unknown said...

The pattern just says it is a 1 inch square? It has a few arrows to put on the fold and the dots (which I am guessing are where you place the buttons?) Do I cut the non-folded edge of fabric at the end of the paper? There isn't a cut line....?

Green Momma said...

The 1" square is there so you can double check that your printer printed the page out the right size. If the 1" square is in fact 1" square then you know that the pattern is the right size.

You cut along the fold line, then with your fabric folded in half you place the fold line on the pattern along the fold line of your fabric. That way you are cutting out a piece twice the size of the pattern piece when you open it out.

The dots are for the snaps:)

kate said...

fantastic idea! will give it a go but don't have sewing machine....do u think it'll work with just hand stitch? as for the snap press...do i need a special equipment for this?

Green Momma said...

I'm sure you can hand-stitch it! As for the snaps...you can by a punch at Joann's to put metal snaps on using a hammer if you want. I have done it and it is not that hard - not too much of an investment either. Or you could use velcro (although velcro is not fun to sew with by hand! LOL!). Have fun!

KD said...

I was thinking of buying a pair until I saw your site. I am a novice sewer and appreciate the clear, detailed instructions! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Wondering if you could place some PUL between the terry to make it moisture proof? Any ideas?

Green Momma said...

You absolutely could put PUL in the middle but I found that there never was that much drool. Go ahead, can't hurt!

EmilyB said...

Do you know if this patter would fit a Tula carrier as well. Not sure if their straps are the same size as an ergo. I want to make suck pads for my standard infant Tula but can only find ergo suck pad patterns.
Thanks :)

Green Momma said...

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Tula. Try wrapping the paper pattern piece around the straps. Don't forget to take into account the seam allowance and overlap! Let me know how it goes.

Momma of little L said...

Just found you blog and I'm addicted! Thanks! I cant wait to try this one and look futher into your blog!. Also are these only sized per the ergo. I have a few different carriers and wanted to know if I could use the same pattern.